DatoCMS is a fully customizable administrative area for your static websites. Use your favorite website generator, let your clients publish new content independently, host the site anywhere you like.
How does it work?
All the websites built with a static site generator (Jekyll, Hugo, etc.) are made of:
- Static files — usually Markdown+Frontmatter or YAML/JSON/Toml config files which represent the actual content of the pages;
- HTML templates that use these content files to generate the actual static pages of the website.
Up until now, even the most basic change to a static website could only be performed by tech-savvy users, as too many things had to be known (Git, Markdown, etc). DatoCMS lets you tackle the problem in a different way:
- You create a DatoCMS administrative area that fits exactly the needs of your website;
- Editors change the contents of the website inside a nice web interface, just like they're used to do with ie. Wordpress;
- Using our plugins, all the stored data gets transformed into local Markdown/config files, so that can be "digested" by the static website generator just as it was written by hand.
When the editors press the "Publish" button, a new website build gets triggered and updated content is deployed online.